Advertisement

Breaking News

News: Nigerian Governor Sacks Over 5OO Workers, Protest Erupts

                    News: Nigerian Governor Sacks Over 5OO Workers, Protest Erupts





Benin City, Edo state - Governor Godwin Obaseki of has reportedly sacked 513 workers of the Edo State Sports Council with effect from Monday, March 21. 

The sack, according to Vanguard was contained in a memo dated Friday, March 4 and those affected were drawn from junior, senior and management categories of workers.

Sacked staff to be compensated - Edo government The memo stated that the affected staff would be immediately paid their one month in lieu of notice. 

Affected workers stage protest On Wednesday, March 24, the sacked workers staged a massive protest around the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium and adjoining streets. 

Some of the protesters said that they were shocked to receive a circular of their disengagement and were asked to reapply as casual staff. 

One of the protesters, and former Paralympian, Patience Igbiti, said: “I have been here for over 20 years as a permanent staff and all of a sudden you disengage me. I have rejected jobs abroad to train people for my state, where do you now want me to start from?"

Another affected staff, Friday Aibangbe, a visually-impaired athlete, said: “I believe that the Governor did not consider us at all. We worked for him and voted for him and fought for him, now he has disappointed us." Addressing the protesters, the commission chairman, Yusuf Ali, promised to take their complaint to the government. 

Nigerians react on social media Edward Chigozie Stanley said on Facebook: "What could 513 persons be doing in the sports ministry?" Kenneth Ighalo Best said: "Very good move, you people are just wasting Edo state money, upon all the money spent on sports so far no good results."

No comments